When a timesheet is submitted for approval, an email notification is sent to the user that has been set as the Primary Approver.
If you approve a timesheet, it is ready to be interpreted and processed as part of a pay run. If it is rejected, the timesheet will be sent back to the employee who submitted it so that they can revise and resubmit.
Depending on how your portal has been configured, there will be a few different ways you can approve or reject a timesheet:
- One-click email approval: You can approve or reject the timesheet directly from within the email.
- Two-click email approval: You will see an Approve/Reject Timesheet button which takes you to an action page where you can then approve or reject the timesheet and add any notes.
- Log in to your portal to approve or reject the timesheet.
If you're unsure which approval method will apply for you, please contact an administrator for your portal.
Approving a Timesheet via Email
One-click Email Approval
To approve a timesheet with the one-click email approval method, click the ‘Approve’ button at the bottom of the email body. A browser window will open to confirm that the approval has been successful.
To reject a timesheet, click the 'Reject' button in the email. You’ll have the option to enter a reason for the rejection. Click Submit to reject the timesheet and notify the employee.
Two-click Email Approval
To approve a timesheet with the two-click email approval method, click the 'Approve/Reject Timesheet' button. A new window will open with a summary, where you need to click Approve again. You'll then see a popup window saying 'Approval Successful'.
To reject a timesheet with the two-click email method, click the 'Approve/Reject Timesheet' click Reject in the popup window, add any optional notes and then click Submit. You'll see a message saying 'Rejection Successful'.
If you'd prefer to log in to review the timesheet, click 'Proceed to Login' rather than approving or rejecting directly in your browser window.
Approving a Timesheet in your Portal
There are two ways that you can approve an individual timesheet from your user portal.
- Go to Timesheets > click the checkbox to select a timesheet > Approve Selected Timesheets
- Go to Timesheets > click into a timesheet > Approve
You can approve multiple timesheets at once from the Timesheets tab. Select the timesheets you would like to approve, or tick the checkbox in the header of the list to select all timesheets, then click Approve selected Timesheets.
If the Expense module is enabled, you can also view and approve expenses when you are logged in.
There are some situations where you will only be able to review, approve or reject a timesheet by logging into your portal:
- if a browser window doesn’t open after you click Approve or Reject in the Email or you receive an error message to say that the action could not be completed or 'There was a problem'
- if an employee has attached a file to their timesheet
- if an employee submits an expense on their timesheet, rather than submitting it using the Expense feature
- if you are the Secondary Approver. The notification that a Secondary Approver receives will not include the Approve or Reject buttons at the bottom of the email.