If you are the Primary Approver for an expense report submitted by an employee, you'll receive an email notification that includes a copy of the expense upon their submission.
Depending on how your portal is configured, you'll have different options to view, approve or reject the expense:
- One-click email approval: You can approve or reject the expense directly from within the email.
- Two-click email approval: You will see an Approve/Reject button which takes you to an action page where you can then approve or reject the expense and add any notes.
- Log in to your portal to approve or reject the expense.
Once the expense is approved, it is ready for processing through payroll and the employee will be notified. A rejected expense will be sent back to the employee to amend and resubmit.
Approve Expenses via Email
One-click Email Approval
To approve an expense with the one-click email approval method, click the Approve button at the bottom of the email body. A browser window will open to confirm that the approval has been successful.
To reject an expense, click the Reject button in the email. You'll be able to enter a reason for the rejection before clicking Submit to reject the expense and notify the employee.
Approvers are unable to approve an expense directly from the email they receive if:
- A browser window doesn’t open after a selection is made from the email;
- An employee submits an expense as part of their timesheet rather than submitting separately through the Expenses module; or,
- The approver reviewing the timesheet is the Secondary Approver. Notifications which are sent to Secondary Approvers will automatically direct them to log into their own portal to review timesheets or expenses.
Two-Click Email Approval
To approve an expense with the two-click email approval method, click the Approve/Reject button. A new window will open with a summary, where you need to either:
- click Approve to approve the expense. You will receive on-screen confirmation that the expense has been approved.
- click Reject, add any optional notes, and then click Submit. You'll see a message saying 'Rejection Successful'.
If you'd prefer to log in to review the expense, click Log into your payroll portal to be taken to your portal landing page.
Approve Expenses in the Portal
You can view and approve expenses by clicking the Expenses tab in the primary navigation bar or clicking View Expense Summary Report at the bottom of the Expense Summary tile on your Dashboard.
From the Expenses > Pending Approval screen, you can view the details of an expense report in a popup window by clicking on the Report Name.
If the expense you are reviewing was submitted via the Expenses tab, there will be options in the Status column of the report for your to Approve or Reject the expense.
Approve Expenses Submitted on a Timesheet
If the expense was submitted on a timesheet, it will need to be reviewed as part of the timesheet approval process. You'll see a Go to timesheet link in the Status column which directly links you to the related timesheet.
You can also review the expense by accessing the timesheet in your Timesheets tab.
If an expense has been submitted as part of a timesheet and is incorrect or needs to be adjusted, the entire timesheet will need to be rejected so that the employee can amend the expense details. Once they've done this, they can resubmit the timesheet for review.