When an expense report is submitted by an employee, the Primary Approver will receive an email notification that includes a copy of the expense.
If you're the Primary Approver, the approval method will depend on how your portal is configured.
- One-click email approval: You can approve or reject the expense directly from within the email.
- Two-click email approval: You will see an Approve/Reject button which takes you to an action page where you can then approve or reject the expense and add any notes.
- Log in to your portal to approve or reject the expense.
Once the expense is approved, it will be ready for processing through payroll and the employee will be notified. A rejected expense will be sent back to the employee to amend and resubmit.
Approving Expenses via Email
To approve an expense with the one-click email approval method, click the ‘Approve’ button at the bottom of the email body. A browser window will open to confirm that the approval has been successful.
To reject an expense, click the 'Reject' button in the email. You’ll have the option to enter a reason for the rejection. Click Submit to reject the expense and notify the employee.
If you click Approve, the timesheet will be approved and will be ready for processing.
Approvers are unable to approve an expense directly from the email they receive if:
- A browser window doesn’t open after a selection is made from the email;
- An employee submits an expense as part of their timesheet rather than submitting separately through the Expenses module; or,
- The approver reviewing the timesheet is the Secondary Approver. Notifications which are sent to Secondary Approvers will automatically direct them to log into their own portal to review timesheets or expenses.
Approving Expenses with Two Click Approval
To approve an expense with the two-click email approval method, click the 'Approve/Reject' button. A new window will open with a summary, where you need to click Approve again. You will then receive on-screen confirmation that the expense has been approved.
To reject an expense with the two-click email method, click Reject in the popup window, add any optional notes, and then click Submit. You'll see a message saying 'Rejection Successful'.
If you'd prefer to log in to review the expense, click 'log into your payroll portal' rather than approving or rejecting directly in your browser window.
Approving Expenses in the Portal
You can view and approve expenses by either:
- Clicking the Expenses tab in the primary navigation bar; or,
- Clicking View Expense Summary Report at the bottom of the Expense Summary tile on your Dashboard.
From the Expenses > Pending Approval screen, you can view the details of an expense report in a popup window by clicking on the Report Name.
The approval method for an expense report will depend on whether it was submitted from the employee’s Expenses tab or included in a timesheet.
Expenses submitted via the Expenses tab will include buttons in the Status column to Approve or Reject.
Expenses submitted on a timesheet will need to be approved as part of the timesheet approval process. A ‘Go to timesheet’ link will appear in the Status column, linking you directly to the relevant timesheet.
You can also approve the expense by accessing the timesheet in your Timesheets tab.
If an expense has been submitted as part of a timesheet and is incorrect or needs to be adjusted, you will need to reject the entire timesheet. The employee will need to adjust the expense details and then resubmit the timesheet.