There are several things to consider if you create a new entity in your portal and need to move employees into that entity:
- Have you already made STP Submissions using the existing entity?
- Is the entity a new business?
- Does the entity have a different ABN/GST Number to the existing entity?
- Are you re-employing employees under the new entity?
You’ll need to consider if your Pay Through Entity is selectable/mapped from your front end system if this is used.
You can’t change the default entity in your portal, so your existing entity will have to remain the same. However, you can set up as many additional entities as needed.
If you are unsure about changing entities, you may like to contact our Support team first.
Create a New Entity
There are three ways to create a new entity:
- changing the name on the current entity;
- changing the Pay Through Entity on the current employee profile; or,
- creating and assigning a new employee profile to the new entity.
Change the name on the current entity
WARNING: Please consider any reporting implications before updating existing entity details such as the name.
To overwrite the current entity name and ABN/GST Number:
Go to Config > Company Management > select the entity.
In Entity Details, edit the Entity Name.
This will change the reference name for your company in all previous data in both reports and payroll. You will need to consider resubmitting tax details (eg TFND in Australian entities) and presenting new compliance documentation linked to the new entity.
If your TFN or GST number have changed, you will need to create a new entity.
Change the Pay Through Entity on the current employee profile
The Pay Through Entity has associated data that feeds into historic reports and pay advices. Some data is locked, while some is dynamic and will update if you rerun a report.
For this reason, when you change the Pay Through Entity from Users > Employees > select the employee > Payroll Admin, a warning message will flag that this action will affect your previous payroll data.
Proceeding with the change will remove some of the historical data associated with the previous Pay Through Entity.
If you are going to change the Pay Through Entity, we would advise that you:
- Export all reports for the period you want to keep your data up until, prior to changing the Pay Through Entity; or,
- Request a copy of your portal that you can use to refer back to when you need it.
You should consider the compliance documents signed by your employees initially, and whether they should sign or acknowledge new documents which specify the company they are now engaged through.
Create and Assign a new employee profile to the new entity
There are two options for creating new profiles, depending on whether your employee and job data is linked to a front end system or not.
If you have an RMS, you can:
- orphan the employee and job profile in Astute and reimport your data from the front end system (if you use an RMS that allows you to reimport)
- manually create all new users and jobs in Astute and more the RMS system ID from the old profile to the new profile (if the RMS won’t allow you to reimport)
If you do not use an RMS, you can:
- manually create all new users and jobs in Astute
- set the end date on the old job to close it down
- assign the new employees to the new Pay Through Entity
- shut down the old jobs from the old Pay Through Entity
Orphaning Employee and Job Profiles
If you're using a front end system to push employee profiles into Astute and you need to break the link to an existing profile in order to create a new one, you can 'orphan' the old profile. This is done by editing the employee's remote ID's in the Astute profile, so the next time you push data across for that employee, it will create a new profile instead of updating the existing one.
There are 2 fields that need to be edited to orphan an employee. The first is the employee remote ID and the second is the job remote ID.
First, go to Users > Employees > select the employee > More > Payroll Admin.
It may have a different name and format to the above examples. If you're not able to see a field like this, or you're unable to edit it, please contact our Support Team so they can make it editable for you.
Once editable, you can add a suffix or a prefix to the code so it won't be recognised by your front end system.
eg. EMP-1234567-X or X-EMP-1234567
Next, go to Users > Employees > select employee > click on the job > Payroll Admin. The job remote ID will be in the Job Code field.
Add in a suffix or prefix to the job code and then save the changes.
Once both remote ID's have been updated, you can push the placement through from your front end system again and it will create a new employee profile in Astute.