TFN Declarations can be entered by the employee in their own portal, or their TFN Declaration information can be entered by an Admin on behalf of the employee (ie, if they've provided you with a paper form).
- Profile > Tax & Super for employees submitting their own declaration; or,
- Users > Employees > select the employee > Tax & Super by a System or Payroll Administrator on behalf of an employee.
You can view an employee’s current tax details in the Tax & Super screen of their user profile. This will show the details that have been submitted in their most recent TFN declaration.
If a TFN declaration has not been submitted for an employee, these fields will be blank.
When a new PAYG employee is added to an entity, they will be prompted to submit a TFN Declaration when they log in. The portal will flag this task as incomplete until the employee submits a TFN declaration.
You will also need to enter and save an employee’s Medicare Levy details in the fields provided. These fields will only appear if the following conditions are met:
A TFN Declaration has been submitted, in either paper or electronic form
- The employee’s tax table is set as one of the four Medicare levy tax tables:
- Full Medicare Exemption
- Full Medicare Exemption + STSL
- Half Medicare Exemption
- Half Medicare Exemption + STSL
Electronic Submission of a TFN Declaration
To submit an electronic TFN declaration for an employee:
Go to Users > Employees > select the employee > Tax & Super
Set the ‘Method’ to Electronic Submission.
Click ‘Start TFN Declaration’.
Enter the employee’s personal details on the Confirm Personal Information page of the declaration. You will need to provide:
- Family Name
- First Given Name
- Date of Birth
- Home Address information
- Employment basis
Enter the employee’s TFN in the Tax File Number field or leave this blank if no TFN has been provided.
Select the employee’s residency status in the ‘Are you?’ section.
Click Next to move to the Required Information page. The system will validate the data to confirm that all mandatory information has been entered.
Enter the employee’s tax information by selecting Yes or No for the list of questions. This will be used to allocate the correct tax table to the employee.
If no TFN was entered on the previous page, you will need to answer an additional question to confirm why.
Click Next to continue to the submission page.
Enter your full name in the field provided and tick the checkbox underneath, to confirm the use of myGovID M2M credentials to authorise the submission.
The submitted TFN declaration will appear in the History section of the employee’s Tax & Super screen, with the date, time and user details. As the submission progresses, any actions from the ATO (eg acceptance, rejection due to error) will appear here also.
Paper Submission of a TFN Declaration
To record a Paper Submission on behalf of a new employee:
Go to Users > Employees > select the employee > Tax & Super.
Set the ‘Method’ to Paper Submission.
Click ‘Receive Paper TFN Form’.
In the popup window, enter:
- the employee’s tax file number. If no TFN is provided, leave this blank
- a not declared reason. If the employee has not provided a TFN, select the reason from the drop-down list. This field will disappear if a TFN is entered
- the Payee Tax Status nominated by the employee
- the Tax Free Threshold Claimed status
- the employee's tax table. You will only be able to select tax tables that align with the selections made for the Payee Tax Status and Tax Free Threshold Claimed
- any reported tax offsets that are being claimed.
Click Confirm to apply and save these details.