From 27 September 2021, employers are required to contact their casual employees and offer them permanent employment if they meet the following criteria:
- the employee has been employed by the employer for 12 months;
- the employee has worked a regular pattern of hours on an ongoing basis for at least the last 6 months; and,
- the employee could continue to work these hours as a full-time or part-time employee without significant changes.
If offering casual conversion, an employer is required to make a written offer to convert their casual employee to permanent within 21 days of the employee’s 12 month anniversary.
Reporting on Casual Conversion
To confirm whether your employees meet the above criteria, you can access the following reports in your Astute portal:
- Start and Finish Dates Report to determine an employee’s Employment Start Date and to confirm when 12 months of employment has passed.
- Hours Worked Report to review employee work patterns across a specified time (ie the last 6 months). You can filter the report as required and summarise by employee, then export the results in .csv format to review.
Contact Eligible Employees
You can directly contact any relevant employees to offer permanent employment using custom template messages in Astute. Once you have created a template, follow the steps below to send your custom email to a specific employee.
- Go to Communication > Send Message.
- Tick the checkbox next to an employee’s name to select them.
- Click With selected Users…
- From the Send Email Template dropdown list, select which template you would like to send.
- Click Send.
Once an email notification has been sent from within Astute, you’ll be able to view a record of it in your Communication Log.
Update an Employee’s Engagement Type
If an employee accepts an offer of permanent employment, you’ll need to update some information in their Employee profile to ensure that their pays are processed correctly. For a full list of information to check on an employee’s profile, please see this article.