You need to ensure that employees’ details are accurate and meet the ATO’s validation requirements for the STP Update. You can check the current details set for your employees using the ATO Validation Report and the Taxation Details report.
Run the ATO Validation Report
Use the ATO Validation Report to verify employee details and check for errors or missing information. The report will validate the following employee details:
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Tax File Number
- Street Address (Address Line 1)
When running the report, set the Report Settings > Financial Year filter as Jul 2022 - Jun 2023 to include employees paid in that financial year.
From the top right of the screen, click Export > Export Normal CSV. In the .csv file, the Employee column will list any employees with invalid details. The Errors column will identify which details are invalid according to ATO requirements.
Run the Taxation Details Report
The Taxation Details report shows the tax file number and tax table assigned to each employee. To run this report:
- Go to Reports > User > Taxation Details.
- Click Report Settings, apply the required filters and click Go. You can filter the report to report on all entities in your portal or by individual entity. When you set the report filters:
- ensure that the Financial Year is set as Jul 2021 - Jun 2022 to include only employees paid during that financial year.
- tick the checkboxes for Inactive and Locked Users to include them in the report.
- No TFN quoted by the payee. This reason is used when 28 days or more have passed as well as when employment started less than 28 days prior;
- Employee is a senior citizen; or,
- Employee is under 18 years of age.