If employee details need to be updated, you can do this in one of two ways:
- For bulk employee updates, the Employee Details Importer can be used. This will require you to export a data template, then update the information in the template and reimport it into your portal.
- For single employees, you can update the information manually in their Employee Profile.
Update Details using the Employee Details Importer
Employee details can be updated in bulk using the Employee Details Importer.
- Go to Config > Payroll > Employee Details Importer.
- Under Select Import Criteria, select PAYG with Tax File Number as the Employee type.
- Tick the Personal Details, Contact Details and Tax and Super checkboxes.
- Under Step 2: Download Template, click Download Template.
- Update any details as needed in the exported .csv file, ensuring that the following requirements are met:
|Tax File Number||
Once you've updated the information in the file:
- Save a separate copy of the edited file in .csv format.
- Click Choose File under Step 3: Upload File.
- Choose the edited .csv file > Upload.
- Click Confirm to accept the updates to the employee details.
Please ensure that rows or columns not are added or removed in the template, as this will cause the file to fail during upload.
You may like to keep a separate copy of the exported template as a record of the current details prior to importing the updated version.
Updating Employee Details Manually
Individual employees’ details can be updated in Users > Employees, by selecting the employee name and then clicking into the relevant section of their profile.
An employee’s Engagement Type is updated in the Employment tab of their user profile.
If you're reporting contractors through STP, you will need to ensure that they have been set with an Engagement Type of Labour Hire.
IMPORTANT: If you select 'Labour Hire', this will result in earnings for the contractor being classed as Personal Services Income (PSI) as it is based on the ATO's definition of a contractor. If you need to report wages as Individual Non-Business, please select Casual, Part-Time or Full-Time as the engagement type. For further details on the differences between an employee and a contractor, please refer to the ATO website.
Employees who are engaged as Labour Hire but taxed as a Working Holiday Maker (WHM) must be reported as a 'Working Holiday Maker' for these earnings via STP. Other employees should be set with an engagement type of Full Time, Part Time, or Casual.
If an employee has earnings reported against the incorrect Engagement Type, you will need to adjust their earnings using lump sum pays so that they are issued the correct Income Statement.
If you are not reporting using STP, please contact the ATO for more information on the payment summary requirements for contractors and WHM employees.
TFN Declaration Details
Employee TFN details are managed in Users > Employees > select the employee > Tax & Super.
If an employee’s TFN or TFN Reason were incomplete or invalid in the Taxation Details report, you will need to click Start New TFN Declaration to enter this information, or Resume TFN Declaration if a declaration has already been started.
Enter the TFN in the Tax File Number field on the first page of the declaration or leave this blank and click through to the second page to choose a TFN Reason from the options available.
|I have made a separate application to the ATO for a new or existing tax file number.||
|I am claiming an exemption because I am in receipt of a pension, benefit or allowance.||
|I am claiming an exemption because I am under 18 years old and do not earn enough to pay tax.||
If employees are submitting their own Tax File Number Declaration from their portal, you will need to choose Paper Submission as the lodgement method.
Employee Contact Details
You will need to ensure that all employees being included in the STP Update Finalisation Event have a valid email address entered on their profile.
From Users > Employees > select the employee > Personal Details, enter the employee’s email address. This must be valid and include an @ symbol (email@example.com).
The below contact details will also be included in the STP Update Finalisation Event and should be verified.