Payroll Tax is a state tax on the wages paid by employers. It is calculated on the amount of wages paid by an employer per month, and is generally collected in the state or territory where employees are located.
Payroll Tax rates vary across each state or territory in Australia, and are subject to change. Wages subject to Payroll Tax include
- total gross wages,
- bonuses and commissions,
- allowances and fringe benefits, and,
- termination payments.
You may be liable for Payroll Tax if your Australian wages exceed the tax-free (payroll tax) threshold that applies in the relevant state or territory.
For more information on Payroll Tax in Astute, please click on the relevant link below to navigate to an article.
- Configure Payroll Tax Settings for your Portal
- Configure Items for Payroll Tax
- Configure Payroll Tax Rates in your Portal
- Payroll Tax Report
- Payroll Tax Report (Historical)
- Payroll Tax Calculations
- Adjust incorrect Payroll Tax Settings in a Pay Run
- Payroll Tax Status in User Profiles
Please note that Payroll Tax in Astute refers to Australian entities only; there is no Payroll Tax for New Zealand.