Employees may be eligible to receive Parental Leave Pay from the Government to care for their new child, and they can choose to have these payments processed through their employer. The employer is then reimbursed by Services Australia for amounts paid to the employee. For details on rates, eligibility and other information on these payments, please visit this page.
In Astute, these payments are processed by using a Fixed Pay Item assigned to the employee's job.
Add a Pay Item
If you don't already have a pay item set up for Parental Leave Pay, you'll need to create one.
- Go to Config > Payroll > Pay Items > Add New Pay Item.
- Add a Name and check the settings below:
- Tick the Super Exempt checkbox
- Do not tick PAYG Exempt
- Tick the Leave Accrual Exempt checkbox
- In the Payment Summary Settings, choose Gross Payments as the Payment Section.
- In the STP Reporting Settings, choose Paid Leave and then Paid Parental Leave.
- Choose all other settings as required, then Save.
Assign the Pay Item to a Job as a Fixed Pay Item
Once the pay item has been set up, it needs to be assigned to the job as a Fixed Pay Item.
- Go to Users > Employees > select the employee > click on the Active Job > Job Details
- Tick the Fixed Pay Items option in the Job Settings section (if not already ticked).
- Click +Add Pay Item in the Fixed Pay Items section.
- Choose the pay item you created for paid parental leave.
- Add the Units Per Pay, Rate, Start Date and Finish Date.
- Click Save.
Below are examples only. Please seek advice from Services Australia for details on how long you need to pay each employee for, and the applicable rate.
Paying Maternity/Paternity Leave in addition to Paid Parental Leave
If your employee is entitled to paid maternity or paternity leave, this can be paid at the same time as their Parental Leave Pay by setting up a leave category and submitting a leave request for the period they will be away.
In Process Payroll, you'll see the leave hours from the leave request as well as the unit(s) of Parental Leave Pay.
The same will apply for any other arrangements where the employee will be taking (eligible) leave concurrently with their Parental Leave Pay.