The batching functionality allows background processing for actions that you need to process. A batch will be created when there are a large number of items or processes that require a large amount of time to complete.
Batching allows faster performance as we can split up the data and enables you to continue with other tasks while each batch processes.
When you request an action (eg regenerating STP Update events), the system will determine whether it is more efficient to process the action on-screen or to create a batch and process in the background.
Batching is currently available in the following parts of the system:
- Payroll > Process Payroll > STP Update report
- Payroll > Pay Conditions (when finalising or reverting timesheets)
- Marking a pay run as Paid in:
- Payroll > Process Payroll > Process Pay Runs
- Payroll > Process Payroll > Process Supplier Pay Runs
- Pay Run Details report, when you click into a specific pay run
- Reports > Payroll > TPAR Reporting (when emailing Taxable Payment Reports to Suppliers)
- Invoicing > Drafts, Invoicing > Outstanding, and Invoicing > Sent. Your portal will only be configured with either the Outstanding or Sent report, not both.
When a Batch is Created
Each time a batch is created, a progress bar will appear at the top of your screen, providing you with an overview of the batch. Details include the task that has been requested, the estimated time remaining and the success (green) or error (red) for items within the batch.
If more than one batch is being run at the same time, each will have its own progress bar.
You can continue with other tasks while batches are processing in your portal.
Cancel a Batch
For some tasks, you can cancel a batch mid-processing by clicking the red ‘X’ icon to the right of the progress bar, or by clicking ‘Cancel’ on the batch status page. If a task does not allow you to cancel a batch, the ‘X’ will not appear.
When a batch is cancelled, this does not reverse the entire action. You will need to check the Detailed Item Information section to see which items have been processed and which are awaiting processing.
The progress bar for a cancelled batch will remain on-screen until you dismiss it by clicking the red ‘X’.
Failure to Mark a Pay as Paid
In the unlikely event that a pay fails being marked as Paid, the batch will continue to process the pay run but will set the pay run in an ERROR state. You will receive an error message 'Payrun has errored! This requires immediate attention, please contact the Support Desk!'.
If this happens, please contact email@example.com with the details of the pay run that has errored, so that we can assist you further.