GL Groups are used to allocate account codes to items processed in Payroll and Invoicing.
Where to Assign GL Groups
Once GL Groups are set up in Config > Payroll > GL Groups, there are a few different places where these can be set.
You can assign a GL Group in any of the following locations:
- on the Job (Users > Employees > select the employee > select the Job > Payroll Admin)
- on the Employee (Users > Employees > select the employee > Payroll Admin)
- on the Billing Entity (Config > Company Management > Entity > Accounts)
- on the Payroll Entity (Config > Company Management > Entity > Accounts)
- the portal default (Config > Payroll > GL Groups > Set Default within the selected GL Group)
The above list is hierarchical. For example, if you have a GL Group set on the employee's job, this would override a GL Group set at the entity level.
If you want to get even more specific with account codes at an employee level, you can 'hard-code' some of the accounts in the Payroll Admin section in the employee or job profile. These account codes will override any that are set in a GL Group.
Users > Employees > select employee > Payroll Admin:
Users > Employees > select employee > select the job > Payroll Admin:
If GL codes are entered on the job for Payroll Tax, these will be ignored if the Payroll Tax for the job is payable in the state for another job the employee has worked in the same period.