Credit notes can be exported from Astute into your Xero organisation provided there is a corresponding invoice that has not already had a credit or payment applied to it in Xero.
When an invoice is written off in Astute, a credit note will automatically generate and will be available for export.
The system will include the Invoice ID in the export so that the credit note can be applied to the correct invoice in Xero. This means that the original invoice needs to be exported to Xero before the credit note can be exported.
Negative invoices with a status of Sent can be exported as credit notes. Negative invoices can be:
- manually created invoices with a negative balance
- adjusted timesheets that result in a negative balance invoice
- invoices generated from items created through the API InvoiceItemSave method that combined to give a negative balance
- write-off invoices generated from invoices with positive balances being written off as Do Not Re-Invoice, Cancel Invoice, or Re-issue Invoice. Invoices written off as Bad Debt cannot be exported using the integration.
When a negative invoice is created, a credit note is not created in Astute as payment/credit note application is disabled. The negative invoice will be imported by Xero as a credit note.
Export a Credit Note from Astute
Once a credit note item has been applied to an invoice in Astute, the credit note allocation can be exported to Xero. The system will use the Xero InvoiceID for the invoice to allocate the credit note in Xero.
To export a credit note from Astute to Xero:
Go to Reports > Integrations > Xero Integration.
Select Export > Export Credit Note.
- Log into your Xero organisation, if prompted, and select ‘Allow access for 30 minutes’.
You will receive an on-screen message to advise if the export has been successful. Please note that credit notes with no allocation details will not be flagged during validation and will still export.
Reset an Exported Invoice or Credit Note
Invoices and credit notes which have been successfully exported cannot be reset for exporting again.
While you cannot reset an entire export, you can reset individual invoice items from within the original invoice.
To reset an invoice item:
Go to Invoicing > Search Invoices.
Enter the search criteria to locate the invoice you need and click Go.
Click on the invoice to open it.
- Click ‘Reset for export’.